Visa application guide for foreign talents (R Visa)
1. Who should apply
(1) High-level foreign talents needed in China and talents whose skills are urgently needed in China;
(2) Those identified as high-level foreign talents by the talent administration department of Guangdong Province;
(3) High-level foreign talents invited and guaranteed by enterprises approved by the science, technology and innovation administration department of Guangdong Province or the China (Guangdong) Pilot Free Trade Zone Office;
(4) High-level foreign talents invited and guaranteed by higher education institutions and research institutes in Guangdong Province.
2. How to apply
The applicant must visit the designated public security organ in person to submit materials and have an interview. If the applicant falls into one of the following categories, his/her inviting agency can apply for a visa for him/her:
(1) The applicant is 60 years of age or above and has mobility problems due to reasons such as illness;
(2) The applicant is not visiting China for the first time, and he/she has no negative record from his/her previous stays in China;
(3) The inviting agency is covering the expenditures for the applicant’s stay in China.
For applications submitted by inviting agencies, the public security organ reserves the right to meet and interview applicants as needed.
3. What to submit
(1) A completed Visa/Stay Permit/Residence Permit Application Form (外国人签证证件申请表) stamped by the inviting agency and signed by the applicant, with a 35x49mm ID photo of blue background glued to the form.
(2) A valid Receipt of China Visa Photographs for Foreigners in Guangdong Province (广东省外国人签证数字相片采集检测回执) signed by the applicant.
(3) A letter of guarantee (申请签证证件的证明（担保）函件) provided by the inviting agency in Shenzhen (a template can be found at http://ga.sz.gov.cn//WSBS/BGXZ/CRJ).
(4) A copy of the first page of the Foreign-related Unit Record Book (涉外单位备案本).
(5) A valid passport or other official papers for international travel, the visa for the current stay and a copy of the entry passport stamp for the current stay (note: please mark the stamp with an arrow).
(6) A valid Registration Form of Temporary Residence (境外人员临时住宿登记表).
(7) A Confirmation Letter for High-Level Foreign Talents (广东省外籍高层次人才确认函), which can be applied for at the Shenzhen Municipal Bureau of Foreign Experts Affairs; a Recommendation Letter for High-Level Foreign Talents of China (Guangdong) Pilot Free Trade Zone to Apply for Permanent Residence in China (中国（广东）自由贸易试验区外籍高层次人才申请在华永久居留推荐函), which can be applied for at the Administration Committee of China (Guangdong) Pilot Free Trade Zone Qianhai & Shekou Area of Shenzhen; a Proof Letter of Accumulated Point Assessment for Permanent Residence Application in China of Foreign Members of Innovation and Entrepreneurship Teams in China (Guangdong) Pilot Free Trade Zone or Foreign Technical Talents Employed by Enterprises of the Free Trade Zone (中国（广东）自由贸易试验区创新创业团队外籍成员或自贸区企业选聘的外籍技术人才申请在华永久居留积分评估证明函), which can be applied for at the Administration Committee of China (Guangdong) Pilot Free Trade Zone Qianhai & Shekou Area of Shenzhen.
(8) If the inviting agency is an enterprise approved by the science, technology and innovation administration department of Guangdong Province or the China (Guangdong) Pilot Free Trade Zone Office, or is a higher education institution or research institute in Guangdong Province, the inviting agency shall issue a letter of guarantee. A name list of the enterprises, higher education institutions and research institutes shall be provided to local exit and entry departments by the Guangdong Provincial Public Security Department.
(9) Other materials to prove that the applicant satisfies the qualifications and requirements specified by the Chinese Government for the introduction of high-level foreign talents and talents urgently needed in China.
Note: For sections 7, 8 or 9, the applicant only needs to submit the materials from one section.
(10) Other papers the public security organ may deem necessary for the application.
4. Where to apply
If the applicant arrives in China without a visa, he/she can apply for an R Visa at the visa organs at the checkpoints of Guangdong Province; if the applicant arrives in China with a visa, he/she can apply for an R Visa at the Exit and Entry Administration Department of the Public Security Bureau of Shenzhen Municipality.
Add: 4016 Jiefang Road, Luohu District, Shenzhen (深圳市罗湖区解放路4016号)
5. Processing time
If the visa is applied for at a visa organ at a checkpoint, the application will be processed on site; If the visa is applied for at the Exit and Entry Administration Department of the Public Security Bureau of Shenzhen Municipality, it will take seven working days to process the application. Cases for which further investigation is deemed necessary may take longer.
(1) Please make an appointment online to submit your application. You may visit ga.sz.gov.cn, click Personal Service (个人业务), Exit and Entry Service (出入境业务), Expats (外籍人员) to find the appointment page. Alternatively, you may follow the WeChat subscription account of the Public Security Bureau of Shenzhen Municipality (深圳公安) and find the appointment page in the “Livelihood”(民生) column. Please make sure you arrive at the service hall before the appointed time.
(2) Please have both the original copies and photocopies of the materials needed with you. The staffer will keep the photocopies after examining the original copies. Please use A4 size paper for the photocopies and arrange the materials in the order mentioned in Section 3.
(3) If you are visiting China with a special economic zone tourist visa or a group visa, or if you are permitted to enter China without a visa, any type of visa and residence permit application will not be accepted, except for a force majeure reason.
(4) Any certificate issued by a foreign agency should be certified by a Chinese embassy or consulate and translated by a qualified translation agency. You should provide the original certificate, the translated version, and a photocopy of the translation agency’s business license.
(5) According to the Nationality Law of the People’s Republic of China, China does not recognize dual nationality. If you have obtained a foreign citizenship, you will need to renounce your Chinese citizenship before you can apply for a Chinese visa, stay permit or residence permit. Please note that you may be required to submit proof of citizenship renunciation.
(6) According to Article 21 of the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People’s Republic of China, the visa issuing office reserves the right to refuse issuing a visa to any applicant without giving an explanation.
(7) Any foreigner residing in China without a valid visa or having committed an illegal act shall be punished by the public security organ in accordance with the law.
(8) For more detailed information or inquiry about application results, please visit the service hall of the Exit and Entry Administration Department of the Public Security Bureau of Shenzhen Municipality or call 84465490.