Visa extension application guide for foreigners wishing to extend their tourist visa (L Visa extension)
1. Who should apply
Foreigners visiting China for travel purposes with an L Visa and wishing to continue staying in China after the expiry date.
2. How to apply
The applicant must visit the designated public security organ in person for material submission and an interview.
3. What to submit
(1) A completed Visa/Stay Permit/Residence Permit Application Form (外国人签证证件申请表) signed by the applicant with a 35x49mm ID photo of blue background glued to the form.
(2) A valid Receipt of China Visa Photographs for Foreigners in Guangdong Province (广东省外国人签证数字相片采集检测回执) signed by the applicant.
(3) A valid passport or other official papers for international travel, the visa for the current stay, and a copy of the entry passport stamp for the current stay (note: please mark the stamp with an arrow).
(4) A valid Registration Form of Temporary Residence (境外人员临时住宿登记表).
(5)To identify nationality, an applicant who’s under the age of 18, holds a foreign passport and applies for a visa in Guangdong Province for the first time, should submit copies of his or her birth certificate and passports of his or her foreign parents; if one of his or her parents is a Chinese national or both of his or her parents are Chinese, he or she should submit copies of the Chinese parent or parents’ passports and certificates of permanent residence issued by the country they reside in. If the applicant is identified with a Chinese nationality, he or she is allowed to apply for an exit and entry permit.
(6) Other materials relevant to the purpose of the application
a. If the applicant comes to China with an individual L Visa, he/she will need to submit a travel plan and certificates of deposit which prove that he/she can afford his/her expenditures for their stay in China;
b. If the applicant comes to China with a group L Visa, he/she will need to submit a letter of guarantee issued by the travel agency.
(7) Other papers the public security organ may deem necessary for the application.
4. Where to apply
Exit and Entry Administration Department of the Public Security Bureau of Shenzhen Municipality
Add: 4016 Jiefang Road, Luohu District, Shenzhen (深圳市罗湖区解放路4016号)
5. Processing time
Processing takes seven working days from acceptance. Cases for which further investigation is deemed necessary may take longer.
(1) Please make an appointment online for your application. You may visit ga.sz.gov.cn, click Personal Service (个人业务), Exit and Entry Service (出入境业务), Expats (外籍人员) to find the appointment page. Alternatively, you may follow the WeChat subscription account of the Public Security Bureau of Shenzhen Municipality (深圳公安) and find the appointment page in the “Livelihood” (民生) column. Please make sure you arrive at the service hall before the appointed time.
(2) Please have both the originals and photocopies of the materials needed with you. The staffer will keep the photocopies after examining the original copies. Please use A4 size paper for photocopies and arrange the materials in the order mentioned in Section 3.
(3) If you are visiting China with a special economic zone tourist visa or a group visa, or if you are permitted to enter China without a visa, your visa and residence permit application of any type will not be accepted, except for a force majeure reason.
(4) According to the Nationality Law of the People’s Republic of China, China does not recognize dual nationality. If you have obtained a foreign citizenship, you will need to renounce your Chinese citizenship before you can apply for a Chinese visa, stay permit or residence permit. Please note that you may be required to submit proof of citizenship renunciation.
(5)According to Article 4 of the Nationality Law of the People’s Republic of China, any person born in China whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality. According to Article 5, any person born in a foreign country whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality. But a person whose parents are both Chinese nationals and have both settled abroad, or one of whose parents is a Chinese national and has settled abroad, and who has acquired foreign nationality at birth shall not have Chinese nationality.
(6) According to Article 21 of the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People’s Republic of China, the visa issuing office reserves the right to refuse issuing a visa to any applicant without giving an explanation.
(7) Any foreigner residing in China without a valid visa or having committed an illegal act shall be punished by the public security organ in accordance with the law.
(8) For more detailed information or inquiry about application results, please visit the service hall of the Exit and Entry Administration Department of the Public Security Bureau of Shenzhen Municipality or call 84465490.