1. Formulate the city’s plans for implementing innovation-driven development strategies and promoting the construction of a strong city with scientific and technological innovation. Make plans and policies for the promotion of scientific and technological development and the introduction of foreign (overseas) talents, and organize their implementation. Study and draft relevant local laws and regulations.
2. Promote the city’s innovation system construction and scientific and technological system reform in a centralized manner. Improve the incentive mechanism for scientific and technological innovation together with relevant departments. Optimize the construction of the scientific research system and promote the improvement of enterprises' scientific and technological innovation capabilities. Promote the integration of science, technology, and finance.
3. Take the lead in establishing a mechanism for coordinating, evaluating, and supervising funds of scientific research projects. In conjunction with relevant departments, put forward policies, measures, and suggestions to optimize the allocation of scientific and technological resources. Promote the construction of a diversified science and technology investment system, and formulate and implement municipal financial science and technology plans. Make plans for the allocation and use of funds in charge, and take charge of the progress, performance, safety, and standardization of capital expenditures. Take charge of the construction of the city’s science and technology supervision and evaluation systems and the management of science and technology evaluation. Put forward policies, measures, and suggestions for the reform of the science and technology evaluation mechanism, and supervise their implementation. Coordinate the construction of scientific research integrity.
4. Draw up the city’s plans, policies, and measures for basic and applied research, and manage the city’s natural science funds. Coordinate the construction of innovative platforms such as national key laboratories, provincial laboratories, Nobel Prize laboratories, and basic research institutions. Organize research institutes to innovate performance management and promote the release and sharing of scientific and technological resources.
5. Organize the formulation of plans, policies, and measures for the development of high and new technologies and the promotion of social development with science and technology. Organize the analysis of technological development demands in key fields. Formulate the city’s major scientific and technological plans (special projects) and research and development plans in key fields, and implement them. Coordinate the research, development, and innovation of key generic technologies, advanced technologies, modern engineering technologies, and disruptive technologies. Align with major national and provincial scientific and technological projects, and take the lead in making technological breakthroughs and applying research achievements. Promote the mobilization of science and technology for national defense, the integration of military and civilian technologies, and the integration of production, education and research.
6. Take the lead in the construction of the city’s technology transfer system. Formulate relevant policies and measures for the transfer and transformation of scientific and technological achievements, and supervise their implementation. Guide the development of the science and technology service industry and technology market. Make overall plans to promote the construction of the city’s science and technology public service system and the science and technology enterprise incubation system. Promote the planning and construction of national independent innovation demonstration areas and high-tech industrial parks as a whole. Strengthen the cultivation of high-tech enterprises, and promote scientific and technological innovation and entrepreneurship.
7. Introduce, manage, and serve foreign (overseas) talents, foreign experts, and experts from China’s Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan. Issue work permits for foreigners in China. Make plans, policies, and annual plans for training overseas or in foreign countries, and supervise their implementation. In conjunction with relevant departments, formulate policies and measures for the construction of the municipal scientific and technological talent teams. Organize the implementation of the introduction plan of high-end foreign experts. Promote the construction of high-level scientific and technological innovation talent teams. Host the Conference on International Exchange of Professionals.
8. Formulate policies and measures for scientific and technological exchanges with foreign countries and open cooperation in innovation capabilities. Organize scientific and technological cooperation and exchanges of scientific and technological talents. Organize cooperation and exchanges to promote scientific and technological innovation in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area. Certify and evaluate overseas innovation centers. Organize scientific and technological exchanges and cooperation within and outside the country and among regions. Organize participation in major international scientific programs and projects.
9. Organize the evaluation of municipal science and technology awards, and the recommendation and nomination of national and provincial science and technology awards.
10. Organize and guide scientific and technological research and breakthroughs in production safety. Support and guide scientific and technological progress in production safety, investment in major scientific research projects of production safety, and the promotion of major research results in the field of production safety.
11. Complete other tasks assigned by the CPC Shenzhen Municipal Committee, Shenzhen Municipal People's Government, and superior authorities.